1. Name and address of the responsible person
The controller within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection laws of the member states is:
Center for Advanced Security, Strategic and Integration Studies (CASSIS)
University of Bonn
Tel: +49 (0)228/73 5622
2. General information on data processing
2.1 Scope of the processing of personal data
As a matter of principle, we process personal data of our users only insofar as this is necessary for the provision of a functional website as well as our content and services. The processing of personal data of our users is regularly carried out only with the consent of the user. An exception applies in those cases where obtaining prior consent is not possible for factual reasons and the processing of the data is permitted by legal regulations.
2.2 Legal basis for the processing of personal data
Insofar as we obtain the consent of the data subject for processing operations involving personal data, Article 6 (1) a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis.
When processing personal data that is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, Article 6 (1) (b) DSGVO serves as the legal basis. This also applies to processing operations that are necessary for the performance of pre-contractual measures.
Insofar as processing of personal data is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which CASSIS is subject, Art. 6 para. 1 lit. c) DSGVO serves as the legal basis.
In the event that vital interests of the data subject or another natural person make it necessary to process personal data, Art. 6 (1) lit. d DSGVO serves as the legal basis.
If the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the University , Article 6(1)(e) DSGVO serves as the legal basis for the processing.
2.3 Data deletion and storage period
The personal data of the data subject shall be deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of storage ceases to apply. Storage may also take place if this has been provided for by the European or national legislator in Union regulations, laws or other provisions to which the controller is subject. Data will also be blocked or deleted if a storage period prescribed by the aforementioned standards expires, unless there is a need for further storage of the data for the conclusion or performance of a contract.
3. Provision of the website and creation of log files
3.1 Description and scope of data processing
Each time you visit our website, our system automatically collects data and information from the computer system of the calling computer.
The following data is collected:
(1) Information about the browser type and version used.
(2) The operating system of the user
(3) The Internet service provider of the user
(4) The IP address of the user (pseudonymized, shortened IP address).
(5) Date and time of access
(6) Websites from which the user's system accesses our Internet site
The log files contain IP addresses or other data that allow an assignment to a user. This could be the case, for example, if the link to the website from which the user accesses the Internet page or the link to the website to which the user goes contains personal data.
The data is also stored in the log files of our system. A storage of this data together with other personal data of the user does not take place.
3.2 Purpose of the data processing
The temporary storage of the IP address by the system is necessary to enable delivery of the website to the user's computer. For this purpose, the user's IP address must remain stored for the duration of the session.
The storage in log files is done to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use the data to optimize the website and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. An evaluation of the data for marketing purposes does not take place in this context.
3.3 Duration of storage
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of the collection of data for the provision of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended.
In the case of storage of data in log files, this is the case after seven days at the latest. Storage beyond this period is possible. In this case, the IP addresses of the users are deleted or alienated, so that an assignment of the calling client is no longer possible.
3.4 Possibility of objection and elimination
The collection of data for the provision of the website and the storage of the data in log files are absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no possibility of objection on the part of the user.
4.1 Description and scope of data processing
The following data is stored and transmitted in the cookies:
(1) Language settings
(2) Login information
In this way, the following data can be transmitted:
(1) Search terms entered
(2) Frequency of page views
(3) Use of website functions
4.2 Purpose of data processing
The user data collected through technically necessary cookies are not used to create user profiles.
The analysis cookies are used for the purpose of improving the quality of our website and its content. We learn through the analysis cookies how the website is used and can thus constantly optimize our offer.
4.3 Duration of storage, possibility of objection and elimination
5. Rights of the data subject
If your personal data is processed, you have the following rights as a data subject within the meaning of the GDPR vis-à-vis the controller:
5.1 Right to information
You may request confirmation from the controller as to whether personal data concerning you is being processed.
If there is such processing, you can request information from the controller about the following:
(1) the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
(2) the categories of personal data which are processed;
(3) the recipients or categories of recipients to whom the personal data concerning you have been or will be disclosed;
(4) the planned duration of the storage of the personal data concerning you or, if concrete information on this is not possible, criteria for determining the storage duration;
(5) the existence of a right to rectify or erase personal data concerning you, a right to have the controller restrict processing or a right to object to such processing;
(6) the existence of a right of appeal to a supervisory authority;
(7) any available information on the origin of the data, if the personal data are not collected from the data subject;
(8) the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling, pursuant to Article 22(1) and (4) of the GDPR and, at least in these cases, meaningful information about the logic involved and the scope and intended effects of such processing for the data subject.
You have the right to request information about whether the personal data concerning you is transferred to a third country or to an international organization. In this context, you may request to be informed about the appropriate safeguards pursuant to Art. 46 DSGVO in connection with the transfer.
If the data processing is carried out for scientific, historical or statistical research purposes, the right of access may be restricted to the extent that it is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of the research or statistical purposes and the restriction is necessary for the fulfillment of the research or statistical purposes.
5.2 Right to restriction of processing
Under the following conditions, you may request the restriction of the processing of personal data concerning you:
(1) if you contest the accuracy of the personal data concerning you for a period enabling the controller to verify the accuracy of the personal data;
(2) the processing is unlawful and you object to the erasure of the personal data and request instead the restriction of the use of the personal data;
(3) the controller no longer needs the personal data for the purposes of processing, but you need them for the assertion, exercise or defense of legal claims; or
(4) if you have objected to the processing pursuant to Art. 21(1) DSGVO and it is not yet clear whether the controller's legitimate grounds override your grounds.
Where the processing of personal data concerning you has been restricted, such data may be processed, with the exception of their storage, only with your consent or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person or for reasons of important public interest of the Union or a Member State.
If the processing has been restricted in accordance with the above conditions, you will be informed by the controller before the restriction is lifted.
In the case of data processing for scientific, historical or statistical research purposes, your right to restrict processing may be limited to the extent that it is likely to make impossible or seriously impair the achievement of the research or statistical purposes and the restriction is necessary for the fulfillment of the research or statistical purposes.
5.3 Right to deletion
a) Obligation to delete
You may request the controller to delete the personal data concerning you without undue delay. The controller is obliged to delete this data immediately if one of the following reasons applies:
(1) The personal data concerning you are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed.
(2) You revoke your consent on which the processing was based pursuant to Art. 6 (1) a or Art. 9 (2) a DSGVO and there is no other legal basis for the processing.
(3) You object to the processing pursuant to Art. 21 (1) DSGVO and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing, or you object to the processing pursuant to Art. 21 (2) DSGVO.
(4) The personal data concerning you have been processed unlawfully.
(5) The deletion of the personal data concerning you is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation under Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject.
(6) The personal data concerning you was collected in relation to information society services offered pursuant to Art. 8 (1) DSGVO.
b) Information to third parties
If the controller has made the personal data concerning you public and is obliged to erase it pursuant to Article 17(1) of the GDPR, it shall take reasonable measures, including technical measures, having regard to the available technology and the cost of implementation, to inform data controllers which process the personal data that you, as the data subject, have requested that they erase all links to or copies or replications of such personal data.
c) The right to erasure does not exist insofar as the processing is necessary to
(1) to exercise the right to freedom of expression and information;
(2) for compliance with a legal obligation which requires processing under Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject, or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
(3) for reasons of public interest in the area of public health pursuant to Art. 9(2)(h) and (i) and Art. 9(3) of the GDPR;
(4) for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes, or statistical purposes pursuant to Article 89(1) of the GDPR, insofar as the right referred to in Section a) is likely to render impossible or seriously prejudice the achievement of the purposes of such processing, or
(5) to assert, exercise or defend legal claims.
5.4 Right to information
If you have asserted the right to rectification, erasure or restriction of processing against the controller, the controller is obliged to notify all recipients to whom the personal data concerning you have been disclosed of this rectification or erasure of the data or restriction of processing, unless this proves impossible or involves a disproportionate effort.
You have the right to be informed about these recipients by the data controller.
5.5 Right to data portability
You have the right to receive the personal data concerning you that you have provided to the controller in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You also have the right to transfer this data to another controller without hindrance from the controller to whom the personal data was provided, provided that
(1) the processing is based on consent pursuant to Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. a DSGVO or Art. 9 Para. 2 lit. a DSGVO or on a contract pursuant to Art. 6 Para. 1 lit. b DSGVO and
(2) the processing is carried out with the aid of automated procedures.
In exercising this right, you also have the right to have the personal data concerning you transferred directly from one controller to another controller, insofar as this is technically feasible. The freedoms and rights of other persons must not be affected by this.
The right to data portability does not apply to processing of personal data necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
5.6 Right to object
You have the right to object at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of personal data relating to you which is carried out on the basis of Article 6(1)(e) DSGVO; this also applies to any profiling based on these provisions.
In the event of the objection, the controller shall no longer process the personal data concerning you, unless it can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or the processing serves the purpose of asserting, exercising or defending legal claims.
In the case of data processing for scientific, historical or statistical research purposes pursuant to Article 89(1) DSGVO, you also have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of personal data concerning you, unless the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
5.7 Right to revoke the declaration of consent under data protection law
You have the right to revoke your declaration of consent under data protection law at any time. The revocation of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent until the revocation.
5.8 Automated decision in individual cases including profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing - including profiling - which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you.
This does not apply if the decision
(1) is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract between you and the controller,
(2) is permitted by legislation of the Union or the Member States to which the controller is subject and that legislation contains appropriate measures to safeguard your rights and freedoms and your legitimate interests; or
(3) is done with your express consent.
However, these decisions may not be based on special categories of personal data pursuant to Article 9(1) of the GDPR, unless Article 9(2)(a) or (g) of the GDPR applies and appropriate measures have been taken to protect the rights and freedoms and your legitimate interests.
With regard to the cases referred to in (1) and (3), the controller shall take reasonable steps to safeguard the rights and freedoms of, and the legitimate interests of, the data subject, which shall include, at least, the right to obtain the intervention of a person on the part of the controller, to express his or her point of view and to contest the decision.
5.9 Right to complain to a supervisory authority
Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your residence, workplace or the place of the alleged infringement, if you consider that the processing of personal data relating to you infringes the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
The supervisory authority to which the complaint has been lodged shall inform the complainant of the status and outcome of the complaint, including the possibility of a judicial remedy under Article 78 GDPR.
The competent supervisory authority is:
Landesbeauftragte für Datenschutz und Informationsfreiheit
Postfach 20 04 44